Shropshire County Championships
The county championships (formally County Closed) is a long standing tradition. All junior tennis players can take part to find who is the best tennis player, in Shropshire
. Last year’s championship were a tremendous success and went a long way to contributing to the continued pride we have in this event. Our main aim as a county association is to raise participation levels and ensure more people are playing tennis more often. To that end we want to use this championship to enable every junior in the county, regardless of ability to come along and have an enjoyable time. We have added some more events in the lead up to this competition – “The Road to the County Championships”. May I wish you all a great event.
Chair – Tennis Shropshire
1. Every competitor in an LTA official tournament must be a member of the LTA Membership Scheme and have an LTA Rating. You can enter our Saturday Festival without this and we can help get this sorted for you.
2. Media Statement: “Players and Parents/Guardian consent to the player being involved in any publicity connected with LTA Supported Tournaments, including media interviews, photographs and TV footage. Please inform the tournament organiser if you do not wish a participant to be involved in publicity.” Our intention is to raise the profile of Tennis in the county and will look to have an on-site photographer and press officer.
3. We intend to make all events compulsory consolation meaning that players have a great time and play plenty of matches. No player may withdraw from the event, including the structured Playback event, after the withdrawal deadline. No entry fees will be refunded after and late withdrawals will be subject to LTA withdrawal points.
4. All Singles Main Draw matches will be of best of 3 tie break sets (tie break at 6-6) with the 3rd set to be decided by a 10 point match tie break set. The mini-tennis events will follow usual match durations. Referee has the option to change the format as necessary during the event.
5. Players may enter a maximum of 3 singles events, 2 doubles & 2 mixed doubles events.
Proposed Events Schedule
Saturday – Festival for all ages – aimed at new players & starter level – 9.30am Sign-in for 10.00am
Sunday – 9&Under -10am Singles, 1.30pm doubles, 16&u Boys Singles 9am, 16&u Girls Singles 1.30pm
Monday – 12&u Boys Singles 9am start / 12&u Girls Singles 1.30pm start & Adult event starts evening
Tuesday – 14&u Boys Singles 9am start / 14&u Girls Singles 1.30pm start
Wednesday – Doubles Day 1 – 12&u and 16&u 11am start, Mixed doubles from 2pm
Thursday – Green 10&u Singles Boys & Girls 10am start, Boys & Girls 18&u Singles 2.00pm
Friday – Doubles Day 2 – 14&u and 18&u 9am start, Mixed doubles from 2pm
Saturday – Finals Day, Red Singles 10am, Presentation 5.30pm
· Fun Sports each day during lunch break – Rounders for players & parents! Depending on order of play but ideally 12.30-1.30
· Tournament BBQ – Thursday night from 6pm, Finals draw and games